It all started in Delhi, at ½ East Patel Nagar on September
1st, 1955, when a small nursery and kindergarten wastarted
in the home of Mrs Rajni Kumar and her husband the late Mr Yudister Kumar,
Barrister at Law and Senior
advocate of the Supreme Court of India. Many years prior to this, while Mrs Rajni
Kumar was a student at the London School of Economics, she had been attracted
by the progressive education movement in Britain particularly Beaconsfield founded
by Bertrand Russell, Badley's co-educational school Bedales, and A. S. Neill's
Summerhill. So, when planning to open her own school in Delhi, she struck on
the name ' Springdales', symbolic of the freshness of Spring and inspired by
the progressiveness of Bedales. The school was born soon after India attained
her independence. It was in the context of Nehruvian politics, International
peace and brotherhood, and the Non-aligned movement that Springdales took shape
and burst upon the educational scenario with vibrancy and freshness, dovetailing
much of the ethos and culture of the new India, into its education programmes
and philosophy Springdales attracted the local community from the very start
and it grew rapidly. In 1959 it obtained recognition from the Educational Authorities
of the state and from that date onwards was affiliated to the Council for the
Indian School Certificate Examination. Later it sought affiliation from the Central
Board of Secondary Education. Up to 1979 it prepared its students for both the
Indian School Certificate Examination and the Higher Secondary Examination of
the Central Board of Secondary Education. Since 1979 it prepares students for
the All India Secondary Examination of the Central Board of Secondary Education
at the end of Standard X and for the All India Senior Secondary Examination at
the end of Std XII.
The Birth of Springdales Education Society
In 1956 the Kumars set up the Patel Education Society, a registered Charitable and Educational Society to run the school. Ever since the original building at Patel Nagar became non-existent, the name of the Society has been changed to Springdales Education Society.
Pillars of Support
When first establishing the school, Mrs Rajni Kumar was ably assisted by a group of very committed and dedicated like-minded people such as Ms Parvati Krishnan Member of Parliament, political leader and trade Unionist;; Mr Prem Sagar Gupta, Mr O.P.Gupta, Mrs Sheila Sandhu, Mr P.N.S Bedi, Mr Satish Khullar, Mr Rajender Dhawan, Mrs P.Loomba and Mrs Chetan Basra. Other early associates were Dr and Mrs Yudh vir Singh, well known freedom fighters; Dr Gyan Chand economist and his wife Anusiya Gyan Chand, a well respected women's leader; Prof Mohinder Singh, Dean of Delhi University; Dr Baldev Bhatia Child Psychologist, Mr R.B Seth, Retd College Principal; Mr Niamat Rai, educational administrator and Dr Savitri Verma, the school's first medical doctor.
They were later joined by renowned educationists such as Dr K.D.Saiyidain, former Secretary of Education to the Govt of India and a liberal thinker Dr V.S.Jha, philosopher and Educational Consultant to the Ministry of Education Mr K.P.S. Menon, man of letters and India's first Foreign Secretary;. Prof Nurul Hassan. Others connected with the school were well known economists, political scientists and jurists of the country such as Dr Rais Ahmed, Prof Moonis Raza Dr Shib Mitra, Mrs Muriel Wasi, Prof. Rashidudeen Khan, Dr P.N.Srivastava, Justice Mrs Leela Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and the present Attorney General of India Mr Soli Sorabjee who served the school as its Chairperson for six years. A number of Service Chiefs have also been associated with the school as Chairmen or members of the Board such as the late Gen P.P. Kumaramangalam, Chief of the Army Staff; the late Admiral Pereira, Admiral Ramdas and Lt General Candeth. (Retd)
Consolidation and Expansion
Milestones in the growth of the physical plant of Springdales came along in quick succession.
1962 : premises at 1/2 East Patel Nagar,
13 West Patel Nagar, A/12 East Patel Nagar, A-44 and A-45 Kirti Nagar.
Allotment of land at Pusa by the Union Ministry of Works and Housing. Initially Mr Y Kumar
built the temporary wing. The first and main wing of the building was designed by the well known architect Mr
1968 : Inauguration of Pusa building by Dr Zakir Hussain, the President of India in a very colourful ceremony. The President's meaningful words "Be proud of your building but let the building be proud of you" are still remembered by those present on the historic occasion.
1974 : Addition of playfields, stage and stadium steps along one side of the field.
1980 :Laying of the Foundation stone in Dhaula Kuan by Admiral Pereira, the Chief of the Navy and Chairperson of the School Governing Body, along with the school children, and dedication to Shri Y Kumar the founder Manager.
1983 : completion of the first wing of the new building, with students from Standards 2-7.
: emergence of the Springdales at Dhaula Kuan as a full-fledged Senior Secondary School under the dynamic leadership of its Principal Mrs Jyoti Bose, an Old Springdalian herself. Retirement at Pusa Road of Mrs Rajni Kumar, the Founder Principal after 32 years of educational leadership.